Thursday, October 27, 2011

PC Review: Cake Mania To The Max!

I've been a long-standing supporter and player of the Cake Mania series. Basically since day one, honestly, as it was so similar to Diner Dash (which I've also been following since it first came out). There have been so many spin-offs in both series that it's hard to keep up these days. (There's a few I still need to get on both accords right now.)

This particular one was supposed to be a 1980's inspired game, basically going back in time to detail how the main character got her start in the cake making business. As you progress through the storyline, the background of the 'map' is all pictures of her life, starting from her birth.

The artwork is actually very nice. It follows suit with the quality of that of most of the games in this series, but I'm a big fan, so I may be biased. The dialogue, however, is horrendous. I AM a child of the 80's and I remember what people spoke like. And I'll give you a hint....it was nothing like this game. They more or less took every stereotypical phrase from the 80's and peppered it into every sentence or two, so there's no way you could forget what era this is supposed to be taking place in. (However, it comes off sounding much more like an immature valley girl.)

The gameplay itself is comparable with just about any other Cake Mania title. Personally I only managed to get up to about level 42 out of 100 before I deemed it impossible to play, but that's just me. I'm sure others have managed just fine. Needless to say, it is what it is. There's nothing particularly new or special about this title. But if you're a fan of the series, feel free to give it a spin! I'd rate this game a 3 and a half out of 5 cakes.

No comments: